Silver Anniversary Reflections
Primarily my blogs pertain to work outs, my views on training and events and other fitness and martial arts matters. This week, however, my writing will be focused around my 25 years as a Black Belt in the Martial Arts. June 6th, 2011 marks my 25th Anniversary of becoming a Black Belt in the Martial Arts. I remember a number of years ago when there was an article written on Michael DePasquale, Jr, a very high level martial artist and son of one of the founding fathers of American Jiu Jitsu, Soki Michael DePasquale, Sr. I often wondered what the conditions of the Martial Arts would be and where I’d be in my life the day of my 25th Anniversary. Incidentally it was Michael DePasquale, Jr. who inducted me into the Action Martial Arts Hall of Fame.
Where am I today? I am typing this up as I sit next to UFC Fighter Mike Massenzio. We are on our way to Vancouver as a last minute replacement to fight Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 131 Carwin vs Dos Santos. We took the fight as a last minute replacement for the injured Igor Pokrajac. Mike is a Middleweight (185), but we took the fight last minute against a larger opponent in a weight class 20 pounds up (Light Heavyweight) in order to get back into the UFC and have the opportunity to beat a credible, tough opponent with a respected name. Twenty Five years ago, I would have never dreamed the Martial Arts would have come so far. The advent of competitive Mixed Martial Arts was only a pipe dream to us back in 1986. We used to fantasize about being able to fight under the rules that there are today. Being a wrestler and then a Karate practitioner, it only made sense to want to put it all together in the ring.
I am also on the verge of having my oldest daughter test for her Adult Black Belt in 2 weeks. Now 17, she has won several fighting and self defense titles, is on the High School Track Team, the High Honor Roll, has Ivy League level SAT Scores, sings in the school’s select choir and has been training in the Martial Arts ever since she was 2. My 15 year old son is well on his way, being a very successful martial artist, track & field athlete and honor roll student. My 17th month old daughter is already throwing roundhouses!
My wife is filming her latest workout DVDs in Philadelphia today. One of them is a Kettlebell Workout and she’s using some of the Complexes and Chains that we went over the past few days. We meet each other 3 & 1/2 years ago on a set while filming our individual Kettlebell DVDs - both of which were ranked in the Top 10 Kettlebell Training Videos on the market.
I’ve had my own school for over 23 years. I teach Martial Arts, Kettlebell Classes and conduct personal training sessions. I’ve traveled many places conducting seminars in martial arts and kettlebells, cornering fighters, training with and meeting some of the most interesting and accomplished people in the world. I’ve been a champion fighter, promoter, coach, friend, actor, producer, bodyguard, author and choreographer. I’ve converted my passion into my livelihood and witnessed the Martial Arts rise to societal relevance: all during my 25 years as a Black Belt. Martial Arts are everywhere now. Kinda cool.
I have had the pleasure and great fortune to train with and be ranked by some of the World’s most respected martial artists, fighters, trainers and athletes. Jon Collins, Tom Patire, Pavel Tsatsouline, Pat Finely, Dan Inosanto, Frank Shamrock, Steve Cirone, Mike Massenzio, Tim and Chris Catalfo, Jay Hayes, to name a few. Some of these relationships resulted in very tight, life long friendships. All of them, plus others, have contributed to my successes on and off of the mat. I have to thank them all for that.
My father taught me a very valuable lesson. You are truly a success when you can give back. Your life should be measured not by how much you have, but how many people that you’ve touched in a positive way. Give back to the community that gave to you. I know that I give back to community that has given me so much and made me who I am today. Every day I give back to the Martial Arts Community with my teachings and support. The Self Defense that I teach to battered women and children, my S.A.V.E. Self Defense & Fitness program being utilized in schools, my S.A.V.E. our Kids Bully Proofing Program and the fitness work I do helping people become healthier and live longer better lives. Yes, I’m giving back and it feels good. I owe my life to the Martial Arts - that’s why I have dedicated my life to it.
I look at my tattered 25 year old Black Belt and I’ve been asked “How much is it worth to you?” “Would you trade it for a million dollars? Two million?” No. I would not. The belt represents who I am and the friendships I’ve forged, the people I’ve met and helped - those who have helped me. Without it, who would I be? Just like the credit card commercial says, my Black Belt and what it represents: “Priceless”.
As always: Train Hard and Train Often!
www.philross.com www.kettlebellking.com

No comments:
Post a Comment